Retail Sales and Marketing Intern
Black Mesa Records is an independent record label founded in 2014 to promote and release music crafted by developing singer-songwriters. Our influences range from Elliott Smith to Harumori Hosono; from Neil Young to Wilco; Mellancamp to Springsteen; Prine to Dylan.
Our artists have been featured in Rolling Stone, Billboard, Paste, NPR, American Songwriter, Gold Flake Paint, No Depression, Americana UK, AltCountry.nl, FATEA, and more. We also feature regularly on the Americana, Alt Country, Euro Americana, NACC Top 30, and Roots Music Report radio charts.
As a Retail Sales and Marketing Intern you will learn the ins and outs of outbound sales to retail store buyers. Working from carefully curated call sheets, you will be the voice of the label while presenting our growing catalog to as many retail stores as possible. You will work closely with Founder and President Kris Payne on techniques, pitches, and relationship building. No previous experience required.
This internship is remote, but time can be spent at the label's office in Tulsa, OK. This internship is unpaid, and limited to 10 hours a week, 40 hours a month. Working periods need to be during the business day (no weekends). Times vary depending on territory.
There is room for growth for the right candidate; however, the internship does not necessarily lead to a position at Black Mesa Records at this time. We wish it could, though, and will be keeping the right interns in mind when positions do get created. If school credit is available, we will work with your professors and school to get you sorted. Open to high school seniors and any current or recent university undergraduate.
- Connect with retail store buyers, managers, and owners to effectively promote the Black Mesa Records catalog
- Interpret the needs of each store to provide everything the B2B customer needs, and nothing they don't
- Collect results and participate in regular meetings to analyze results and schedule followups
- Build lasting relationships connecting the label and retail stores
- A professional attitude. These calls and emails are important to the success of the label, but it's still a record label.
- A desire to learn about the music industry; in particular, record label operations and physical music distribution
- A deep love for music in all it's forms
- Excellent reading, listening, and documentation skills
- Experience with spreadsheets on a computer (Google Sheets preferred)
- A phone that has a good working microphone and speaker
- A computer to email B2B customers from a provided Gmail account
- A working video conferencing setup (webcam, microphone, speaker)
- An appreciation, understanding, and love for the Black Mesa Records catalog.
- An understanding of what we and our artists stand for and present to the public
- Located in Tulsa Metro Area. The internship is 100% remote, but it is nice to check-in in person every now and then.
- Experience with outbound sales